Regis Quick Facts
Regis was founded?
Who founded it?
- Sisters of St. Joseph Major Superior (President) Mother Domitilla Buttimer
The buildings on campus when the college began?
- Morrison House, Peak Hall, Regis Hall, The Tea House (used by the Home Ec. department to serve tea)
Who owned the estate which the Congregation purchased?
- Fannie Demmon Morrison
What is ACSSJ?
- The Association of the Colleges of the Sisters of St. Joseph
Five characteristics of the spirit?
- Practicing hospitality and working toward a caring community
- Caring for all with distinction
- Addressing the needs of the times
- Striving for excellence in all endeavors
- Making a difference in the local and world community
First recipient of the Putnam Scholarship?
- Patricia Goler, ‘50
Majors that were offered at Regis when the college first started?
- German, French, English, History, Political Science, Classics
Regis Newspapers? (no longer in circulation)
- Regis Herald
- Our Times
What is the Lay Apostolate?
- A group of volunteer graduates and students of Regis and other colleges who traveled to other states and other countries to teach in schools which could not afford teachers.
Who founded the Lay Apostolate?
- Sister John Sullivan (English faculty)
When was the Lay Apostolate founded?
Where did the first Lay Apostle go?
What was the name of Sister Anna Louise’s dog?
What was the name of the log cabin on campus? (Stood at the site of what is now St. Joseph’s Hall – replica is in the Archives):
What/where is Carondelet?
- The town in Missouri where some of the earliest Sisters went upon arrival in the US from Lyon, France
Where was the log cabin?
- Across the street from the main entrance
When did the first campus newspaper, Regis Herald, begin?
- October 11, 1934
What was the name of the newsletter of the Louis Pasteur Society?
- The Scope
What was the name of the science club?
- The Louis Pasteur Society
From where did the stones used to build the Tower come?
- They were found during excavation on Regis property.
When was the Library built?
Where was the first library?
- The attic of Walters Hall
When was the Spellman Museum of Stamps and Postal History built?
What is the name of the Honor Society for first-year students?
- Alpha Lambda Delta
When did the Regis Alumnae Magazine (The Regis Quarterly) first begin?
- June, 1936
In what year did Eunice Kennedy Shriver receive an honorary Doctorate of Law from Regis?
Regis was the first college in Massachusetts to buy what during the Fourth War Loan drive?
- a monoplane
In what year did Mother Theresa receive an honorary degree from Regis?
Who designed the Regis College seal?
- Pierre de la Rose, Harvard Professor of Heraldry
What do the gold lozenges on the Regis seal stand for?
- John Francis Regis
What does the Book on the Regis seal stand for?
- Education and learning
What do the lilies on the Regis seal stand for?
- Symbol of St. Joseph and the CSJs
Who designed the Regis College quilts and to commemorate what event?
- Regis Alumna, Roberta Cormier Sullivan – class of 1973
- To Commemorate the 70th anniversary of Regis College
What does the Guardian Angel statue commemorate?
- The Sisters of St. Josephs’ arrival in Jamaica Plain on the Fest of the Guardian Angels.